***Leave us a comment...

We would love to hear from all of you! Leave a comment or send an email. dbhall0716@gmail.com


Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 5, 2012


Monday evening we said good bye to the Lurf’s and hello to our new neighbors the Richardson’s they will be serving as the PEF missionary couple.  We had a nice dinner and they shared their testimonies with us. 
Tuesday we went to three families in Kilili to visit.  We shared oranges, rice, and goat meat, and heard many interesting stories.
We had regular classes the rest of the week but the highlight was. . . Catherine and James got their mission calls.  Same place and leave at the same day.   Everyone was very happy and excited.  It was transfer week so we had to say goodbye to our terrific Elder Diototi (excited to be going to Tanzania) and brought in Elder Gideon. Transfers are sad but good.  Saturday we went for another walk with the Olsen’s.   It takes 2 ½ hours and let me tell you the Olsen’s are both in really good shape.  I thought I was a pretty good walker but it really kicks me to stay up with Sister Olsen.  We have goods visits and share our grandchildren stories.  At 11:00 six of us headed out to go to the Reptile Farm but after 1 ½  hours of fighting traffic, we turned around and came back to the flat and stayed in peace and safety.  
The week ended with Fast and Testimony Meeting at Kyambeke.  You just can’t explain the deep compassion and sincerity expressed when they bare testimony of their love for Heavenly Father and the gospel.  People of all ages, including the very young, stood one right after the other.  Amazing and humbling, I hope I can hang on to these memories.  I kept turning around and looking at the congregation and trying to set a picture in my mind.  We love these people
It was very hard for Jacaline to come to Kilili to live when she married Benson.   She had many conveniences living in Nairobi.  Now she says there is no rest.
Here she is in her cook house.  She is very fortunate to have running water (see the hose).
Benson's daughter, his mother Ruth, and Benson who is the last born and in charge of his mother's care.   When Ruth was 15 yrs. Her parents traded her for a large dowry of 60 goats, 1 bull, and 55 gallons of honey.  The husband was around 50. She had no say in the arrangement.  Although she ran away, the Elders of the village returned her to his home.  She feared him and was so sad that he was old. I asked her how long did it take for her to be happy and she said three babies.  They had six children together.  
Geoffrey and Jackie are parents of three sons and very active in the Kilili Branch.  Here they are with his parents.  Geoffrey is also the last born and cares for his parents.  His father is retired and is over 100 years old.  His wife pictured is his second wife.  He exchanged a large dowry for her at the age of 17.   Because she ran away he beat her and locked her in his house.  
As we sat and visited she spoon fed him every bite.  He knew some English and did some responding.  They all were very kind to him.  I asked her how long it took her to be happy and he laughed and she giggled and then he said he didn't know if she was happy yet.  The first wife lived close by and I asked if they got along.  She told me they did because she taught her so much.  
Women were a commodity and really had no rights.  Dowry's are still part of the culture but women have more say in who they marry.  
Susan and children.  Husband left when hard times came.  Now Susan tries to find ways to pay for her children's school fees while they live in two rented block rooms.  

2 comments:

Fox said...

O this one tears at my heart. I'm so blessed.
I excited the youngest gets to take care of the parents. Ill start looking for you guys a house by me today!!! Could you imagine me spoon feeding dad. I would feed him beans and wet chicken and he couldn't do a thing about it.

The White's said...

That seams so un real. I'm really glad you asked them about being happy.
I don't know what to say this post leaves me in awe.